Did you know?
- About 950,000 Americans die of cardiovascular disease each year, which amounts to one death every 33 seconds.
- Although heart disease and stroke are often thought to affect men and older people primarily, it is also a major killer of women and people in the prime of life.
- About 61 million Americans (almost one-fourth of the population) have some form of cardiovascular disease.
- Coronary heart disease is a leading cause of premature, permanent disability among working adults.
- Stroke alone accounts for the disability of more than 1 million Americans.
And that’s just what the Surgeon General has to say.
Did you know that the biggest contributors to this problem are trans fats? In fact, the trans facts that we consume through fast-foods and processed food are major cases for coronary heart diseases.
If it sounds as though we are trying to scare you. . . well, you are absolutely correct. You should be scared. This particular drum has been beating quietly in the background of dietary concerns for years.
The drum is beating louder. So loud in fact, that New York City recently took the initiative to ban the use of trans fatty acids in all restaurants in the city, including fast-food. And, other locales are also taking a look at this drastic step.